Thursday, September 1, 2011

005: kuroshio sea!

4 bus rides (with connections) to Ocean Expo Park: ¥6000 and 6 hours.
Ticket to Churaumi Aquarium: ¥1800.
Churaumi Aquarium Experience: Priceless.

Yup, that's a whale shark! And only one of three in Kuroshio Sea.

I started yesterday off early and headed to a Starbucks for breakfast. Not too different from home, other than the names. I notice that restaurants here play a lot of music that sounds like it's from WWII-era America (croon-y, etc.), which I suppose is the influence of the U.S. presence on the island. After finishing, I stopped by Makishi Market and said hello to my favorite shopkeeper again. He greeted me warmly, and (I think) introduced me to one of his friends as the American girl he was going to marry. . . Iiiiii denied this.

Errands accomplished, I headed for the bus that would take me to Churaumi Aquarium in Nago. It's on the other side of the island, so it takes a bit of effort to get there. There is also almost no English on the bus: some written, but definitely none spoken. You need to be able to understand at least basic phrases.
AQUARIUM DAY!!

Okinawa looks a lot like the jungle is attempting to take over. . . and winning!


Three hours and a connection later, I arrived! I met a young Japanese woman a little older than me who directed me towards the entrance -- she couldn't speak English well, and I couldn't speak Japanese well, so we made for a funny pair. Nevertheless, we had fun walking together up to the aquarium.

Now: pictures!!!










Note: these "spiny lobsters" were my size. SCREAM.











Whale shark vs. manta ray GO








That's about it for now. . . hope you all enjoyed! 


2 comments: